17 August 2006

Janmashtami, Krishna's Birthday

We went to a temple dedicated to Krishna in Abids (a neighborhood in central Hyderabad). Because it was Krishna's birthday, they had a lot of special ceremonies going on. It was a lot of fun. I tried to take more photos of people because I realized that most of my photos are of objects. Anyway, here goes:







They collected our shoes before we entered the temple.




Selling butter outside temple. Baby Krishna liked to steal butter and eat it, so it is symbolic of him.








Entrance to the temple.




Sign at entrance.




Statues inside temple. I can't remember what they symbolize.




Krishna and his wife.




Priest offering fire to worshippers. They touch the top of the fire and rub it over their heads.






An awesome painting! I think the cat/man is Shiva.




Women making garlands of carnations.




Men singing and playing tabla and harmonium. They sing the "Hare Krishna" song.




Women lined-up at the altar.




Devotee prostrating before the altar.




Me, looking somewhat perturbed. I don't know why. I thought the temple was really cool!




Devotees outside the temple.




Megan.





Christine, Bridget, Mae and Claire.



This peacock reminded me of the metal peacocks we had next to our front door when I was little.





A ceremony at Shilparamam (where we went after leaving the temple) where little kids try to break the pot filled with flowers with a stick (like a pinata).

No comments: